Friday, August 6, 2010

Does chlorinated swimming pool water harm birds&wildlife< or do they have the sense not to drink it?

I am a swimming coach, and 2 days ago while I was teaching some kids how to swim, I had to rescue a kitten that fell into the pool. A little later I had to catch a frog that couldn't get out. (clubhouse swimming pool, Puerto Real, Lapaz, Iloilo, The Philippines).


This morning at 6 am, while I was coaching the swimming team, I saw a swallow scooping up some water while it was flying over the water surface. ( Iloilo sportcomplex, Jaro, Iloilo, The Philippines)


For sure the kitten and the frog weren't there to drink water. About the swallow, I am not sure about it.


I wouldn't drink chlorinated water, but I don't think it would do any harm. Also tapwater contains some chlorine.


I also use tapwater for my fishtank...but I put it in a bucket first and areate it for a while. The chlorine is gone after a whileDoes chlorinated swimming pool water harm birds%26amp;wildlife%26lt; or do they have the sense not to drink it?
Depends on the levels of chlorine - an overpowering smell of bleach will put off most animals. Mind you, a sheep once fell into my mate's swimming pool and drowned, so I guess that was quite harmful.....Does chlorinated swimming pool water harm birds%26amp;wildlife%26lt; or do they have the sense not to drink it?
In Turkey, there are a lot of cats that hang around the hotels and they drink from the swimming pools. I noticed a lot of them were missing their little teeth at the front, but i dont know if that is to do with the chlorine or something else.
Some animals do, some don't. Frogs are majorly stupid in this area - on many occasions I've had to get dead frogs out of the water filter.
we have had to fish frogs and birds out of the water filter i take it they couldnt get out and drowned
There is not enough chlorine in swimming pool water to do any harm to animals.


My dogs drink out of my swimming pool all the time (even though they have fresh water nearby) and the vet has told me it's no problem.
Chlorine hurts all animals. It just depends on how much they take in. The chlorine levels would have to be near 50% to hurt us, but animals are much smaller (of course) and the toxic levels are directly proportional to size. Most have the sense not to drink it. Dead animals found in filtration systems are because they drowned, not because of Chlorine. Poisoning is generally a prolonged death and you wouldn't find them around the Chlorine itself, if they would even drink it. Most dogs readily drink Spring water, (which has no chlorine) before touching tap water.. the same is true for most, if not all, animals.


This is the reason pet stores tell you not to give birds or reptiles water from the tap and also why they sell de-chlorinater with every fish tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment